Follow Me!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Hitting the Cereal Boxes at One in the Morning - My AWESOME Weekend!

I feel like such an insomniac. Owl City.
Friday: I drank too much coffee at once (two cups downed in twenty minutes and then another cup a few hours later). I was nervous because I was running a 5k the next day, and coffee seemed the perfect outlet. The result? A splitting headache that lasted hours (thank God for Advil!). Because of that I felt irritable and tired, so I went to bed early. By early, I mean 8:15. Very early.

I turned over to go to sleep. I lay there, listening to my family watch the World Cup for an hour. Then they came upstairs, and my older brother began to play Red on his electric guitar...huge mistake. I had Red's new songs stuck in my head all night. "I need you with me as I enter the shadows."

I lay there and I lay there and I lay there. I turned this way and then I turned that way and then I lay on my back and then I lay on my stomach and then I put my pillow over my head....long story short, it was extremely difficult to go to bed.

In fact, I didn't fall asleep until about four in the morning. I remember laying there and watching the neon figures on my digital clock move slowly, ever so slowly. Do you know how stressful it is to realize that you are running a 5k at nine o'clock the next morning and you can't go to sleep to save your dang life?

Yeah, we were running a 5k the next morning, at the crack of dawn. (Nine o'clock. Ouch.) I have run a 5k before - just not an official 5k. I have run 3.10 miles at my community center at least five times, so I don't know what the big deal was...but it was a big deal.

So what do I do when I can't go to sleep (believe me, I have had this problem before)? I read my Bible for a while, then try to go to sleep again (which usually doesn't work). But I always fall back on my Momma. I wake her up (she doesn't appreciate that, but she never complains), she prays for me or talks with me for a while until I get sleepy, and that's that. But Friday night, it didn't work. I lay on the floor in her room (went in there twice...), then she came into my room, back and forth. It was insane. That lasted until midnight.

Then we both realized at the same time we were hungry. We were both completely wide-awake, so we got out of bed and went downstairs.

We ate cereal at one o'clock in the morning, looking at maps, figuring out where my mom was born, where my dad was born, where my uncle was born, etc. Momma and I stayed down there for about forty-five minutes. We were joking about how eating cereal at one in the morning was definitely a blog-worthy subject. ;-)

I decided I was good and tired enough when I started putting the cereal box into the cabinet above the phone. But I wasn't. It took another three hours, at the least, to fall asleep. It. Was. Crazy.

Saturday: You know what was crazier, though? I ran a 5k on two hours of sleep (yeah, I woke up at six and couldn't get back to bed because I was so nervous...). It was running on a whole different level. I almost tripped because I was so groggy (that was embarrassing).

It was hard, I'm not going to lie. My time was twenty-eight minutes. I would be extremely unhappy of that, unless I had that excuse of two hours of sleep. Usually I can run it in barely twenty-six minutes.

Anyways, I had a lot of fun taking pictures. I'm so proud of my siblings. My older brother beat me by three whole minutes. My dad was at twenty-three minutes. My mom came in right after Daddy. Ab and Pete were stunning in their so-and-so meter dashes. Ab was second in her age-group, and Pete was first.
Peter is a complete stud in the making. Look at that adorable smile.

After the 5k, we went out to eat and then marched in a parade around my uncle's float (he's running for state senator :-). I admit, I didn't want to go. All I wanted to do was go home and sleep. But it was fun...even though it was pouring rain. A little kid started laughing at me. But other than that, it was good. (I did get a can of Diet pop...that's always a big plus :-)

My mom, my sister and I watched Julie & Julia that afternoon when we got back from the parade. It was so funny, I was laughing the whole time. And very inspiring.

I went to bed at seven o'clock that night.

Sunday: I got up early to straighten my hair, and at eight thirty my family piled into the car and drove to church. Jenna came over afterwards.

After several hours of beautous fun, Jenna and I went to a BBQ with our church, which was insanely fun. It's just one of those things that are so amazing that you can't describe it.

Jenna's another one of those things that you can't describe....she's just Jenna. Jenna is amazing - everyone who knows her knows that. I'm completely honored to be friends with her - scratch that, we're not just friends, she's my sister! Duh! :-)

Monday (technically not part of the weekend...but hey. I don't ever follow rules; that's boring.): I had a violin lesson in the morning, the last one until June fifth. I am gonna miss my teacher. Then I rushed home and babysat for four hours. I have a steady job all summer, every Monday. :-)

We built a fort in the woods with damp maggot-ridden wood. It is an awesome fort, if I do say so myself. :-)

I made pizza a few minutes ago. I still have flour under my fingernails. I can smell its aroma filling the house. Yum.

I joined a group of writer-girls on Blogger who are doing thirty thousands words in the month of June. I'm at almost five thousand words. I know, I know. I stink. So I resolved to start writing as soon as I finish this post and stay up as long as it takes to reach ten thousand words, at least. Crazy? Yes. But crazy describes me, my life, and my friends....why not my writing?

12 replies:

Caroline said...

Wow... I don't envy your staying until 4! I'm sorry about that! Staying up into the late hours of the night is meant for sleepovers;)

Hey, don't feel too bad. I'm only at 8,000 something words and hadn't written (before today) for six days. We'll have to catch up together!:D

Jenna said...

I love the pictures Bekah! (:
Your awsomer(:
Love you

Emma said...

Oh my goodness, that's horrible!! Well, not horrible in any way. Scratch that. I would've totally DIED in a 5k (even if I COULD run that) after 2 hours of sleep. I'm not sure if I've EVER had 2 hours of sleep. I envy you for getting up and trying hard!
Love the pictures!

Awel Prince said...

oh, wow, about no sleep...I've never been that nervous...but then agian, I've never drank THAT much coffee! :) 8:15 would be early for me too. :)

Best wishes on your writing!! {stick with it girl, it'll so be worth it!} I just finished getting my 2'sday post ready...I wrote it a day early b/c I might have to work in the morning. {Shh...don't tell anyone I cheat like that. =)


Julia Lynne♥ said...

Awesome weekend! I've always wanted to run a 5K, but first I need to work on my mile times. :) Have a great day today! (and get some sleep) Just kidding!:)

Alexandra said...

Sounds like a great weekend! My mom and I were planning on running a 5K last week at the zoo...the money would go towards the animals. We never ended up running though, because there was a huge down-pour. :(

Awesome post, as well as photos. Love the photography of you and Jenna, and of your siblings from the 5K {I really enjoyed the assorted fonts, and quotes}.

Congratulations to Pete for getting first place! :D


Emii said...

Ohh I hate those sleepless nights. Usually I get my iPod, and after listening to Taylor Swift or something, I put Owl City on -- and within a few minutes, I'm asleep. I don't know why, there's just something about their music that's lets me sleep peacefully.:)

The Golden Eagle said...

Ugh, I hate not being able to sleep! I don't think I've ever had to deal with that little of it, though, and then running a 5K? Eesh. That must have been really hard.

Laney said...

Cute pictures! :) I hate not being able to fall asleep, but it still sounds like you had a great weekend!

Lizzy Bennet said...

I'm sorry you couldn't sleep, Bekah - I know the feeling. And I am familiar with the method of glaring at your neon-colored digital clock, willing yourself to fall asleep. :)

But, skipping the sleepless night, it sounds like you had an awesome weekend! (And yes, Monday counts as part of the weekend. :)

In Christ,

Emma said...

Sorry you had a bad night :( Hey I was wondering... Do you design blogs? I want mine re-done and my photography done... I love yours! :)


Josh $ said...

HEY! That Red song is awesomesauce...don't diss it.


Related Posts with Thumbnails